Sunday, March 8, 2015

Four Boys One Queen - The Shop is Open

If you follow my blog you know that I have a crafting habit.  Typically it's just a couple things here and there when I get time but after the big move I needed something.  I have been a stay at home mom since my first son was born but even then I worked.  I coached cheerleading since he was 5 months old and worked at my families ice cream store nights and weekends.  So when we moved to Asheville all of that stopped.  My job became solely being wife and mom.  I've had no identity beyond that and I really didn't think it would be as hard as it was to live that life. 

So, I took up knitting again and started selling headbands which I love!  Of course the way my brain works I started branching off and wanting to make more and more different item's.  It took me a couple weeks to take a step back and think about where I wanted to go with this.  I needed to stick with things that didn't take a week to complete because being a mom of 4 boys I just didn't have the time to put into that.  So I pulled out my multiple boxes of crafting materials and got to work. 

Through the years I made jewelry, mostly for myself or friends but I had boxes of materials to work with and after a couple weeks of playing around with ideas an Etsy shop was born. 

If you are anything like my spouse you would think the whole "set up an Etsy shop" would be relatively easy but there is a lot that goes into it and some of it is just not my skill set but in order to grow you must live and learn. 

The first step was narrowing down items that I had perfected enough to sell.  I went through quite a few materials before this particular part happened.  Although nothing is every perfect I actually like it that way.  It's not made by a machine, it's made by me, BY HAND!  Then the next step is figuring out cost of materials, how much your time is worth, paypal and etsy fee's, and shipping.  All of this feeds into how much an item is worth and once you have figured that out there are still further steps!  Seriously, like way more work than I thought it would be but it was a challenge that I was excited about.

So, we have cost, list of items to sell, and now I needed pictures.  This is still a work in progress.  My cell phone takes relatively good pictures however my next step is more professional photo's of my items in order for my Etsy store to stand out. 

The store has been live for less than a week and I still find myself editing descriptions, adding more items, and perfecting pictures.  The best part is, is that it's mine!  I look at a finished project or a customer sends me a picture and I think, "I made that!".  This is so gratifying to do something and feel good about it that you're doing something people like.  When I was coaching, my goal was to make a difference and most of the time I was never really sure if I was.  A win was a huge accomplishment but the best part was knowing I was helping the girls themselves.  This shop gives me a little of that feeling back. 

It may not be much but it's mine and I'm enjoying every bit of it.

www.etsy.com/shop/FourBoysOneQueen